Support for children’s emotional and mental health

Many children and young people feel worried, sad or low at times. People at school, such as teachers, counsellors, the SENCO or the school nurse, can offer help and advice.

School counselling service

This service is only available in some schools within the borough

There are school counsellors in some primary and secondary schools. Counsellors also offer advice to school staff who have concerns about a child or young person’s well-being. Referrals are by the school or the child and adolescent mental health service (CAHMS).

School counselling service
The Children and Family Centre, 79 Axe Street, Barking, IG11 7LZ

0300 5551035


Child and adolescent mental health service (CAHMS)

CAMHS offers support to children and young people (up to the age of 18) with emotional and behavioural difficulties. CAHMS staff are trained to help young people improve relationships, manage behaviour and bereavement. They can also work with families and carers. Your GP, health visitor, paediatrician, speech and language therapist, SENCO or educational psychologist can refer you.

The Child and Family Centre
79 Axe Street, Barking IG11 7LZ

0300 555 1035


Eating disorder service

If your child has an eating disorder, you and your child can get support from the Eating Disorder Service, which will provide psychological advice, dietician support and medical assessment and support. Referrals can come through your doctor or a medical professional such as a school nurse.

The Hope Wing
Porters Avenue Health Clinic, 234 Porters Avenue, Dagenham RM8 2EQ

0300 555 1216

Early intervention psychosis service

Supports young people aged 14 -35 to manage mental health issues in relation to hallucinations, paranoia and coping with everyday life. The aim is to promote recovery, remain well and return to normal activities. Referrals are from CAHMS.

Early Intervention Psychosis Service
First Floor, Oasis House, 28-30 Gubbins Lane, Harold Wood, Romford, RM3 0QA

0300 555 1030

Brookside Child and Adolescent Mental Health Unit

If your child is experiencing severe psychological, behavioural and emotional difficulties, Brookside Residential Unit provides assessment, care and treatment for 24/7, 365 days a year, as well as support to return home. Young people with mild to moderate learning difficulties can be referred if they also have a mental health issue. There is a school on site. Referrals are from CAHMS.

Brookside Child and Adolescent Mental Health Unit
107a Barley Lane, Goodmayes, Ilford 1G3 8XQ

0300 555 1156